Getting Past the Myths

Myth 6: I Can't Afford to Work

I’m thinking about going to work but I don’t know how I can afford the cost of new clothes, transportation, meals, and more hours of personal assistance services.

You may need to pay for transportation to get to and from your job, or you may need to buy special tools or equipment. The following programs can help you with these and other costs.

Impairment Related Work Expenses (IRWEs)

Impairment Related Work Expenses (IRWEs) and Blind Work Expenses (BWEs) are disability-related expenses you pay for out of your own pocket so that you can work. Some examples are assistive technology, specialized office equipment, and some transportation costs. You may be able to deduct these when calculating your countable income so that it is lower. By lowering your countable income, you may be able to get higher Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits or keep getting Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits when you are earning more than the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) level ($1,470 in 2023; $2,460 if you're blind). If you have questions about this, talk to a Benefits Planner.

Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS)

If you get SSI and have a specific work goal, you may be eligible for the Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS) program. If you don’t get SSI benefits, you may also be eligible for the PASS program if doing it would help you become eligible for SSI. For example, if your income from SSDI prevents you from getting SSI benefits, you may be able to put your SSDI benefits into a PASS so that you can begin getting SSI benefits in addition to your SSDI benefits.

A PASS lets you save money from your earnings or SSDI benefits to pay for expenses related to your work goal. While using a PASS, you continue getting SSI benefits to pay for your living expenses. PASS funds have to be kept separate and you have to keep records of your PASS expenses.

Social Security employs special staffers called the PASS Cadre to help you set up and understand your PASS. For more information, contact a PASS specialist or read the DB101 page about PASS.

Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS)

In some situations, Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS) can help pay for assistive technology, tools, and equipment related to your new job. MRS can help you and your employer figure out which services you need, regardless of who is paying for the service. If you are not working, you and an MRS counselor can develop a plan to help you reach your work goals. If you are already working, you and an MRS counselor can develop a plan to help you keep that work. Visit the MRS website to learn more about MRS services and to find your local MRS office. You can call MRS at 1-800-605-6722.

If you are blind, the Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP) offers similar services.

Learn more