The Basics

Housing is the biggest monthly expense that most people have. If you have trouble paying for your housing, there are programs that might help.

For many people, the first step in getting help with housing is to contact local public housing authorities (PHAs). Learn more about how to apply for benefits at PHAs.

These are some of the main types of housing programs that might help you:

  • Voucher programs help pay for rent in privately-owned rental housing. With a voucher, you get to choose a place to live. Section 8 is the biggest voucher program. Learn more about voucher programs.
  • Site-based housing programs help pay for rent in specific housing units that have been set aside only for people with low income. You do not get to choose your housing. Site-based housing includes government-owned public housing and privately-owned project-based housing. Learn more about site-based housing.
  • Homeownership programs can help pay for a down payment, closing costs, or monthly mortgage payments, or help prevent foreclosure. They may also help pay for accessibility improvements. Learn more about homeownership programs.

When you have housing benefits and you work, your rent might go up. But with some housing benefits, if you have a disability and get a job, the Earned Income Disregard (EID) program means you might not have to worry about your rent going up immediately. Learn more about how income affects rent and if the EID might help you.

Get Expert Help

To find housing programs, contact local public housing authorities (PHAs) or use the HUD Resource Locator.

If you are experiencing homelessness, contact:

Learn more